All images & content are copyright protected. DO NOT use images without prior permission. To republish recipe, link back and use proper attribution such as “adapted from HeDoesXrayIDoFood.com”. Thank you.
C’mon, can a Tostada really be healthy AND taste good? Who are you kiddin’?
A few assignments ago, Frankie (my Travel Xray/EP Tech hubby) was placed in a hospital in Santa Monica. Although we are by no means Vegans, we loved that West LA being so health conscious made it easy to find fresh, vegetable loaded take-out on a regular basis. Most people know that a good taco isn’t hard to find in any part of LA, but finding a good tostada was a pleasant surprise. There was this little vegan taco hole-in-the-wall that Frankie would walk by on his way to the parking garage just outside of the hospital. There they served these amazing Ceviche Style Cauliflower tostadas topped with shaved avocado that were light, fresh, and perfect for hot muggy days.
The thinly sliced/shaved cauliflower and Persian cucumbers become sort of “pickled” by a lime juice mixture that softens them to the perfect al dente texture. The ceviche is tangy, balanced out by creamy ripe avocado, and served atop a crispy corn tortilla. My Vegan Chipotle “Queso” gives it an optional “kick” of spice and smokiness from the chipotle pepper. The flavors meld together to give you a cooling meal on these hot end of summer days.
Labor day is time for friends, family, BBQs, and doing anything to cool down from this insane heat wave. Living in Chicago for the summer where the weather has just gotten completely out of control has caused me to crave these things all season long. So, I decided to re-make them from memory and I’m so happy with the outcome.
*Make Ahead* These are inexpensive, impressive looking, and super healthy. The best part about them is that they’re great for making in advance. In fact, making them at least 24 hours ahead just makes them taste that much better. However, you can make these up to two days in advance, and just toast up the tortillas the morning of. Serve along side my Easy Yucca with Even Easier Mojo, and a dollop of my Vegan Chipotle “Queso” (also great to make a few days in advance) and I assure you your guests will be impressed!
*Chef’s Tip* To slice the cauliflower, you can use a mandolin like this one or this one, the slicer disk on your food processor, or a sharp knife. Because my husband and I live like gypsies right now, only taking what fits in our RV, my large food processor and mandolin are back home in storage. So, I use my utility or chef’s knife. Just make sure it’s sharp, and it’ll work just as well.
Makes 4 Servings, 2 tostadas per person
- 1/4 cup lime Juice, 1- 1.5 limes
- 3 tbsp Fine minced red onions
- 3/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp Ground black pepper
- 3 cups Shaved or thinly sliced Cauliflower
- 1 Roma tomato, seeded and finely minced
- 1 Persian cucumber, very thinly sliced
- 3 tbsp Cilantro
- 8 corn tortillas
- Coconut oil
- 1 ripe avocado
- In the bottom of a large bowl whisk together the lime juice, red onions, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Using a mandolin, a food processor with slicing disk attachment, or a sharp chef’s knife, thinly slice the cauliflower. (When doing this there will be little crumbles that come off as you slice. I like to save those and make cauliflower rice, or stir fry them and mix with scrambled eggs and cheese.)
- To the lime mixture, add the cauliflower, tomato, cucumber and cilantro. Gently stir coat everything in lime juice, cover, and refrigerate for at least a few hours, or better yet overnight.
- If making my Vegan Chipotle Cashew “Queso”, soak the cashews now, and finish while the tortillas are toasting.
- Just before serving, heat oven to 375°, and line a baking sheet with foil. Spray (or brush) the tortillas with coconut oil and lay them on prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 8 mins, then flip and bake 5-8 minutes more. Be very careful in the last few minutes of baking. These will go from golden toasty to burnt in no time! Its ok if they have a few brown spots, that just means they’re perfectly crispy! While they are toasting, finish making the Vegan Chipotle Cashew “Queso”.
- Using a slotted spoon, divide the ceviche among the tostadas, and top with shaved avocado.